Hopefully, you all know by now that I like my drinks to have contrast and balance. In addition, I also like cocktails that are easy to put together. This is definitely one of those cocktails, and it’s a huge crowd-pleaser. You can make them look fancy, layer them, or batch them up in a big pitcher and let your friends help themselves. To officially be a “Dark ‘n’ Stormy,” one is supposed to use Goslings black rum, and Goslings ginger beer, but I find Cruzan lends a deeper molasses flavor, and Goya or Barritt’s pack a much more spicy ginger punch to really put this cocktail over the top. The sweet/spicy/tart combo is perfectly balanced, with a nice kick of ginger at the beginning, softened by sweet molasses, and ending with a tart zing at the back end. You’ll find yourself staring at the bottom of your glass before you realize it!
Prep Time: 30 min
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 OZ DARK RUM (I PREFER CRUZAN BLACK STRAP)
- 5 OZ GINGER BEER (GOYA OR BARRITT’S ARE BOTH GREAT)
- ¼ LIME (½ OZ FRESH LIME JUICE)
- Pour the rum over a spoon to create a gorgeous layered effect to the cocktail that resembles stormy clouds on the horizon.
- Any dark rum will do, but try to find one with a stronger molasses or butterscotch flavor – the burned caramel sweetness adds depth to the cocktail. (Cruzan or Bully Boy are my favorites, but Goslings or Kraken will work).
- Goya and Barritt’s have a strong ginger punch to them. For a milder ginger beer, both Goslings and Fever Tree make good substitutes.