I’m a recent convert to the Clover Club cocktail. Before I tried it, I thought it was one of those super fruity drinks that were one step above a Shirley Temple. The first time I tried it, I was blown away – the flavor and mouthfeel were perfect, and I was finished with it before I realized how easy it was to drink. It’s a pre-prohibition cocktail that traces its roots back to a Philadelphia bar called “Clover Club,” and records of the drink go back to 1908.
Originally made with Grenadine syrup, the modern take now eschews that for fresh raspberry syrup. The Clover Club is a great sipping cocktail that will elevate any summer gathering as it’s light and refreshing – and pairs well with anything grilled (check out our June recipes from my friend Chef Gina). Also, fair warning: the Clover Club is so good, you’ll want more than one.
Clover Club Cocktail
Prep Time: 2 MINUTES
Makes: 1 LARGE COCKTAIL (8 OZ), OR 2 MEDIUM COCKTAILS (4 OZ)
- 3 OZ GIN
- 1 OZ FRESH LEMON JUICE
- 1 OZ RASPBERRY SYRUP (SEE RECIPE BELOW)
- 1 OZ EGG WHITE OR AQUAFABA
Active Time: 10 MINUTES
Inactive Time: 90 MINUTES
Makes: 1 CUP SYRUP. STORE IN THE FRIDGE, GOOD FOR APPROXIMATELY 2 WEEKS.
- ½ CUP WATER
- ½ CUP SUGAR
- 1 PINT FRESH RASPBERRIES, WASHED
- Raspberry syrup creates the best flavor for the Clover Club, but you can also use Grenadine syrup in a pinch. If you’re going that route, I’ve found that adding 1 tsp of dry vermouth to the cocktail adds more depth, and prevents it from tasting too syrupy.
- Since modern grenadine is usually artificially flavored and dyed, the change to a fresh syrup brings it back to its original roots. You can find real grenadine in some good liquor stores, or you can make your own by reducing pomegranate juice on the stove.
- Make the recipe in the portions above, and split the drink between two coupes- this cocktail is best enjoyed when it’s still ice-cold, so share it with a friend or loved one. If you don’t want to share, you can split all the ingredients in half, and just make yourself one.
- Consider trying a sustainable gin when making your Clover Cocktail.