I grew up eating these scones as a picky child who only wanted to eat chicken nuggets, pizza, and scones. They were a constant staple of my birthday breakfast and now as an adult, I enjoy them as a late-night snack. Just the sight of cocoa powder makes my mouth water for the chocolate taste and soft texture of this baked deliciousness. My favorite icing is traditional vanilla, but around the holidays I always love a little orange drizzle to complement the gooey chocolate chips at the center. It’s easy to make half the batch and keep the second disk of dough in the freezer to be pulled out for a quick, sweet treat at a later time. As the weather grows cold, and comfort food calls your name, consider whipping up some foolproof chocolate scones delicious enough to satisfy the pickiest child.
Prep Time: 30 min
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 STICK BUTTER
- 2 CUPS FLOUR
- 1/3 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 1/3 CUP COCOA POWDER
- 2 TBSP BAKING POWDER
- 3/4 TBSP BAKING SODA
- 1 CUP GREEK (FULL-FAT IS BEST) YOGURT
- 1/2 CUP CHOCOLATE CHIPS (MINI WORK WELL)
- 1 TBSP MELTED BUTTER
- 1/3 C POWDERED SUGAR
- 1 TSP MILK
- You can sprinkle with powdered sugar OR wait until they dry and drizzle with glaze.
- Make the glaze by whisking melted butter and powdered sugar.
- Add flavoring (vanilla extract, orange juice, etc), and then add powdered sugar and milk until you reach the consistency you want.